This summer has been packed to the brim for me, and staying active has been at the top of my to do list. During the week it is easy to stay on a schedule because of work, and therefore keep to my workout regiment. The weekends on the other hand, I often fall off the wagon.
My girlfriend Kate moved to Sydney, Australia 2 years ago and has not been home since. She and I share the travel bug, and actually met on a Carnival Cruise 2 1/2 years ago. We instantly hit it off, and were inseparable for the remainder of her senior year of college. I luckily had the opportunity to see her in Sydney, but I have dearly missed my friend!
This past weekend, she and her boyfriend Mike finally returned home for a visit. Her parents threw a party for them up at their house at Conneaut Lake. Seeing my good friend was such a treat, not to mention spending time with her family and meeting some of her other friends as well. It was my favorite weekend of summer thus far, even though I ate fried chicken, lots of cookies, s’mores, and beer, it was simply the best.
It was definitely worth all the extra calories to be able to spend time with my dear friend, and celebrate her being homecoming. What I will say is, my body is definitely feeling the weekend of poor food decisions and no exercise this Monday morning.
So how do you recoup after a weekend of drinking, and eating yummy (but not so good for you) foods?
- Drink lots of water. I like to add some lemon and strawberries to mine because it helps to detox and rid the body of chemicals. It hydrates the body and leaves your skin feeling fresh and new.
- Lace up your sneakers, and do some extra cardio. I know, I know, no one likes cardio, but there are ways to make it more fun. Do a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout instead of your normal elliptical routine, go for a long walk with a friend, do some extra jumping jacks at your desk at work. Make it fun, and burn a few extra calories.
- Be a Lean, Green, Fighting Machine! Try to eat clean during the week and boost your metabolism, so on the weekends you can treat yourself a little bit. We are human after all, so eat the cookie, drink the wine!
- Get back into a positive mindset, no self-loathing. So what if you are up a pound or two? You will get back down, and I am sure you had fun eating those tacos. DO NOT feel guilty. Positive affirmations, and self love only. You are beautiful, don’t doubt that!
- Sunday, the day of rest. After a crazy Saturday it is okay to be lazy on Sunday’s. Take a nice walk, lounge by the pool, relax before a busy week begins. Take time to set attainable goals for the week.
- Reflection, take time to lock in the memories of the weekend, and the people you spent it with. Write down 3 good things that happened that you want to remember and look back on.
I often take time to journal on Sunday’s just to be able to get into a good mindset for the week ahead. I also make to do lists constantly because they help me to feel accomplished by the end of the week. It helps me to lock in on the sweet moments in life, which sometimes do include a little alcohol or sweets, but it was often worth it for the people I got to spend time with!
Enjoy your weekends, and don’t worry if you stumble a little bit. It’s a new week, and I hope it is a great one for you.